How To Get Rid Of Mice In Your Wichita Falls Home
November 15, 2021 - rodents
Common house mice regularly infest homes as they have a dependent relationship with humans. Relying on people for food, water, and a warm and safe place to nest, mice will take any opportunity they can to get into a residential home.
This rodent species typically grows between 5 ½ to 7 inches long. They have a round body, large ears, small black eyes, and a pointed muzzle with whiskers. Their short hair is usually black to brown or gray, and they have a lighter color on their underbelly.
As a Wichita Falls resident, you should know the dangers of house mice, how to prevent them, and what you can do if you have an active infestation.
Why Are Mice Dangerous?
Don't let the size of the house mouse trick you. They are dangerous little pests that put health at risk as well as destroy property. Mice spread diseases such as salmonellosis, rat-bite fever, hantavirus, tularemia, and plague. House mice can also cause allergies and asthma when their waste turns into dust. They spread parasites like fleas and ticks, causing more problems.
As if health risks aren't enough, mice are also known to cause extensive damage to properties. Because their teeth never stop growing, they need to chew constantly. Mice can chew their way through wood, drywall, insulation, food packaging, and more. They can cause fire and flood hazards chewing through wires and pipes.
Mice are prolific, so there is never just 'one little mouse.' If you see a mouse in your home, chances are there are many more you don't see. Don't let this happen; utilize our prevention tips and request assistance from professionals.
How To Keep Mice Out
Mice are opportunistic and sneaky. Because of this, it can be challenging to keep them out. Applying preventative measures around your property will reduce the possibility of an infestation.
The following prevention tips can prove effective in protecting against an influx of house mice:
- Mice can squeeze through gaps the size of a dime, and they can chew through almost any material, making holes bigger. You should carefully inspect the exterior of your home and outbuildings for potential entry points, sealing them with materials they can't chew through, such as steel wool or placing bricks in front of spaces that can't be filled.
- Remove food sources by cleaning eating areas regularly, storing food in air-tight containers, and regularly removing garbage from your property. You shouldn't leave pet food out overnight or dirty dishes in your sink either.
- Address moisture issues such as leaking pipes or faucets.
- Remove excess foliage from your property and other organic debris that is clotting your yard.
- Keep your home organized and decluttered to reduce places where mice can hide.
Prevention is never 100% effective against pests like mice, but with help from the experts, you can keep your property rodent-free.
Professional Mice Control
The best, most effective way to eliminate a mouse infestation is with help from professionals. Wichita Falls residents should contact Shoop's Texas Termite & Pest Control to assist with rodents like house mice.
From identification to sanitation, exclusion, and monitoring, our trained technicians will effectively keep you and your family safe from house mice and the problems they can cause. So don't wait; contact us at Shoop's Texas Termite & Pest Control for reliable customer service and the treatments your Wichita Falls property requires.